Halloween How-To: Snack o’ Lantern Fruit Cups
I started making these about three years ago when the Bandit was in preschool. They were always a big hit and a healthy alternative to most Halloween snacking, so they were school appropriate. If you have a lot to make be sure to leave yourself plenty of time as these can be very time consuming! I first seen these in Disney Family Fun Magazine but now it seems to be everywhere! Have fun with your kids! They will enjoy helping to make these!
- Navel orange
- Canned or fresh fruit salad or fresh fruit (cut into bite size pieces)
- To make one of the lanterns, use a knife to slice off the top of the navel orange and cut it out like you would when carving a pumpkin.
- Scoop out the orange segments, chop them and mix them with the fruit to put inside the pumpkin. I have a hard time doing this. Normally it turns into mush, so I would suggest making orange juice out of it if you want to save it.
- Carve out a jack o’ lantern face on one side of the orange.
- Fill the lantern with fresh fruit or fruit salad. I find fresh fruit to be the easiest for little ones to eat and the juice from fruit salad can seep out the face. I normally leave the lid off.
We will be having a lot more Halloween How To videos coming soon including more treats, recipes, decor, costumes and more! And watch for the Halloween giveaways!